Sat | 8am | Grade 4 | Maximum 20 walkers | $25
An energetic and long bush walk over private covenanted land in the Brynderwyns where extensive trapping has enabled the release, and successful breeding, of Northland brown kiwi since 2013.
Learn about Marunui’s conservation work and kiwi care and brush up on your knowledge of native flora in the company of an experienced botanist.
A great opportunity to appreciate the special values of mature bush – northern rata, nikau, pūriri, kauri, climbers and epiphytes and various native birds. There are reminders of kauri logging days and Māori habitation and from Pā Hill you can enjoy expansive coastal and rural views. The tramp concludes with afternoon tea.
- Grade 4: Max 20 walkers
- Degree of difficulty: Walking on tramping tracks. A few steep climbs and stream crossings. A good degree of fitness required.
- Equipment: Boots essential. A walking pole if you normally carry one. Bring morning tea, lunch and water. Afternoon tea provided
- Transport: Carpool from/to Domain
- Registration time: Saturday 8am
- Duration from/to Domain: 4-5hrs
- Cost: $25.00