Starting at the picturesque Matheson Bay, this outstanding walk navigates bush and coastal pathways.
The track follows a stream through bush and mature kauri to a series of delightful small waterfalls.
You then take the scenic Leigh coastal walk around Leigh Harbour, continuing through bush to a small pretty bay for lunch.
A two kilometre road walk then offers expansive views before crossing farmland to join the track to Goat Island through regenerating bush with great views of Little Barrier, Great Barrier and the Mokohinau Islands. This walk has a section with a demanding climb of 165 steps.
- Degree of difficulty: A reasonably demanding walk both in length and topography. Some steep steps, and a long climb on a gravel road. Good level of fitness required.
- Grade 4: Max 35 walkers
- Equipment: Boots highly recommended, walking pole useful. Bring morning tea, lunch and water.
- Transport: Bus
- Registration time: Saturday 9am
- Duration from/to Domain: 6-7hrs (including one hour travel each way)
- Cost: $45.00 (includes bus transport)