Listed as one of New Zealand’s ‘14 Great Short Walks’ and part of the national Te Araroa Trail, this iconic walk takes you along the spectacular cliff tops north of Mangawhai Heads beach.
From the Surf Club, enjoy an easy wander along the beach as you ‘warm-up’, ready for the steep stepped climb to the cliff top and lookout. As you walk this well-formed track, enjoy the magnificent coastal panorama to Bream Head, excitingly revealed as you progress northwards. To the south soak up the golden vistas along the coast to Pakiri Beach and out to the Coromandel Peninsula.
Through shady pockets of cooling bush and spectacular valleys of nikau palms, the final descent brings you to the rocky shore with a large rock arch ideal for those special photos!
As you carefully return along the shoreline, over the washed smooth rocks and sandy bays, watch out for playful dolphins often seen in these waters.
- Degree of difficulty: This is a serious walk combining a well formed track with a rocky coastal section. Some steep stepped climbs. Walkers need to be fit and agile. Part of the walk involves walking on stones and boulders. Good ankle support is required.
- Grade 3-4 : Max 25 walkers
- Equipment: Good boots essential and walking pole useful especially on the rocky section. Bring morning tea, lunch and water.
- Transport: Carpool
- Registration time: Sunday 9.00am
- Duration from/to Domain: 5-6 hrs
- Cost: $25.00